Saturday, July 16, 2011

Some fun ways to learn.

Emma is always learning new things. It is so fun to watch her little mind work.

Over the past few weeks we had some struggles with understanding things around here.
I came up with a few fun visuals that have really helped Emma understand.

Emma has been going pee pee on the potty for a long time.
A few weeks back she seemed to regress a bit and those darn mini M&M's didn't seem to be bribing her anymore.
I decided to make a chart so that she could see her progress, and it has been working beautifully.

Each time she goes pee pee on the potty, she gets a star and 2 stars for poo poo.
When she fills a row and puts a star in the prize square she gets to pick a "big prize" from the potty prize box.
Right after I took the picture of the box, she went pee pee and earned the Dora jump rope. She had been eyeing it all day and was so excited to finally get it.

She is mostly potty trained with very few accidents. She does still need us to remind her to go potty, but we are making progress daily.


Another struggle has been who is going to drive her to Abuelita's in the morning.
Doug and I switch off depending on where he is working or how late I am running.
She never seemed to be happy with who was going to drive her so I made another visual and she hasn't complained since.
The red arrow moves back and forth, if it is on me then she knows it is my turn.
The only draw back is that we have to remember to put the arrow on the right person ahead of time, but so far so good. Now, instead of complaining she get excited to see who the arrow is pointing to.


We had a similar issue with bed time. Normally Doug and I alternate nights reading stories and tucking her in. Every now and then she would throw a tired fit and get mad because she wanted the other person to put her to bed.
I made another picture of us in a bed with some pictures of her favorite books and the little pink arrow tells her who will be putting her to bed.

These have all worked wonderfully.
I know that she will soon be over them, but at least we have less tantrums in the mean time.
I am so proud of our little lady and her little mind working hard at understanding new ideas.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Congrats Marie - great idea Mom. Children are visually geared and it is wonderful that you not only recognize it but utilize it. Great ideas and beautiful use!!!

The Jacobs' Family said...

Great ideas! I am so going to copy them.