Sunday, June 27, 2010

True love

Yesterday I learned a little life lesson.
I wasn't expecting it.
I thought I was supporting a friend who had just lost her father.
Instead I learned a valuable lesson from her grieving mother.

She spoke so bravely at his memorial service about how she received a blessing last year when her husband of nearly 30 years was diagnosed with a liver disease and only had years to live.
How could something so terrible be a blessing?
Well she went on to explain that it made them tell each other everything they had every wanted to say and love each other like they had never loved before.
As it turns out, his liver disease wasn't what killed him, it was a tragic fall from a ladder that was out of the blue.
She said with out his diagnosis, she wouldn't have been able to be at peace with him dying, because there would have been so many "should haves." She knew that their marriage was as strong as ever and there were no doubts left for either of them. Of course she will miss him and would have loved to have more time with him, but the time she did spend with him filled her with so much love that she will always have.
Her words made me stop and think... do I take the time to always say what is on my mind to loved ones?
Do I say "I love you" enough?
Do I squeeze super hard when giving hugs?
Do I take the time to cherish moments or do I rush through things because I am too busy?

Tonight our family time playing outside seemed extra special, I actually took the time to enjoy every minute of it...






and I am so glad that I did!

I am so sorry for your loss Julie, and I will keep you and your mother in my thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Val said...

thanks for sharing Marie- such a good reminder! Those pictures of Emma are just darling!

Bob said...

Life is too short for "What if...". Live each day as if you KNOW it is your last, You will enjoy each moment more - and everyone around you, also.