Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tamale Day

Today is one of my favorite days of the year... Tamale Day!

Some of my mom's family gathered at our house for our annual tradition of making tamales.
We have done this every year pretty much since we were kids.
There are always such fond memories from tamale days, and maybe that is why I look forward to doing it every year.

Upon my request, Caubbie (Aunt Carmen) also made sopa de fideo.
Mmm... another favorite from childhood is Caubbie's sopa.
Emma went to town and ate some from anyone who had a bowl.

So not only do I love all of the family time, old stories and good food, I also love that I am officially a meat person.
I jumped in line ahead of my mom, Cris and Ebit and get to be the person who puts the meat in for the 3rd year in a row.
Most of you may not think that this is a special task, but let me tell you, it is!
Back in the day, only Caubbie and Grandma were the meat people.
It is a kind of promotion that you have to earn based on your tamale making experience.
I guess those times when I practiced by making tamales on my own paid off!

Emma got in the spirit and wore her sombrero.

And when we finished, we had 20 dozen pork, chicken and green chili tamales, yummy!

1 comment:

The Jacobs' Family said...

Congrats on your promotion! Love the pic of Emma in a sombrero.